Today’s top executives often struggle to keep up with new trends, day-to-day changes and the evolving needs of their company’s operations. However, there is one strategic move that no business — no matter the size or the industry — should neglect. That’s the continual development of its managers.
It’s important to give managers key management tools and training that will enable the business to thrive and grow to its fullest potential. After all, a manager’s job is to get results through people. To maximize managers’ capabilities, employers need to set them up for success by providing key skills through effective management programs.
This can be accomplished in-house by the Human Resources team or outsourced to a consulting company–depending upon such factors as budget restraints, availability of resources and identified needs.
One of the hardest parts of launching a management program often can be narrowed down to one core problem time. The main key to defeating this hurdle is consciously deciding to make management training a priority for your company. It’s also important to receive top-down support. After crossing those hurdles, keep the momentum going until the finish line of the program is in sight.
After committing to such a program, Slingshot SEO recently undertook its mission through an in-house training team. Here are the 6 key skills that will be taught as part of Slingshot SEO’s 10-week Management Program.
- Time Management – This session is influenced by “Eat That Frog,” a time management book by Brian Tracy. Managers are given 21 different techniques to help them “eat a frog,” which represents the biggest and ugliest task on a to-do list. During the training session, a few application exercises are used to practice these new techniques. Ultimately, managers are able to select the techniques that best suit them. Time management skills are essential in the manager’s role, as it leads to proper and more effective management of employees. It also has the added benefit of reducing stress.
- Legal Compliance – While this session may not be the favorite, it is probably one of the most important sessions in the management program. Managers are empowered with knowledge for basic federal and state laws that may impact them as a manager as well as their employees. The potential costs for legal violations by a manager can often be detrimental to the entire organization.
- Communication – Communication blunders in the workplace are very common; yet most of them are avoidable. As a manager, practicing clear communication skills and active listening is crucial to engaging employees properly. Employees lacking clear instructions or direction from managers are often being held back from their full potential within an organization.
- Hiring Essentials – Hiring is often a core job responsibility for managers. Making sure managers are properly informed on the hiring process and the role they play will help make this large task less daunting. Providing training on basic concepts such as process, prepping, interviewing, conducting reference checks, and extending offer letters is a great best practice for businesses.
- Delegation – A common misconception about delegation among managers is that if “I don’t have time for something I should pass it on to an employee.” Teaching managers the difference between delegation and empowerment and how that impacts their role as a manager is a must! Managers also need to understand when to delegate, how to clearly communicate the delegated task/project and, the most important piece, whom to choose when delegating.
- Employee Feedback and Coaching – Companies often have some form of employee feedback sessions or reviews. These sessions allow employees and managers to engage in open dialogue about setting goals, meeting goals and receiving constructive feedback about progress. This task can be time consuming for managers; however, if done correctly, managers are able to catch early performance problems and correctly modify them to prevent unwanted chronic problems.
Incorporate these six management training tools to achieve business success!